The exchange of promise rings is a sign of commitment, and this exchange is often the very first step of a long journey a couple will take together. Knowing just what to say at this pinnacle moment can make it that much more special. All you need are some ideas to help you get started and a few examples to inspire you.
Making a Promise to Each Other
Some couples regard the exchange of promise rings as a pre-engagement trial, whereas others see it as a firm commitment while an engagement is being planned. Couples who do not plan to get married may view exchanging promise rings as an alternative to both engagements and wedding ceremonies, and many other promise ring meanings are unrelated to a romantic commitment.
This high level of flexibility means that a promise ring can be given with just a few words or with a lengthy speech. The choice is completely down to a couple's own situation and requirements.
Specific Wording You Can Use
Since a promise ring can mean whatever you want it to, there are many things you could say when you give it to that special someone. Perhaps one of the following examples rings true for you.
- This ring comes with a pledge that I will be faithful to you.
- Please accept this ring as a symbol of our vow to keep our virginity until we're married.
- Wear this ring as a symbol of our commitment to this relationship and our future.
- When you look at this ring, I hope it reminds you of my promise to never stop loving you.
- This ring symbolizes my intent to marry you some day, and one day I'll replace it with an engagement ring and a wedding band.
- Let these rings remind us of our vow to be monogamous to one another.
- Whenever we look at these rings, they'll remind us that we'll always be there for each other.
If you're the poetic type, one of these little verses might suit your needs.
- This ring holds a promise my heart will be true, and one day I plan to marry you.
- Sweethearts forever from beginning to end; my commitment to you will never break or bend.
- Exchanging promise rings means everything to me. I can't wait to see how bright our future will be.
- Best friends and lovers, that describes you and me. These promise rings express our love for the whole world to see.
- You wear your ring, and I'll wear mine. They'll remind us we're best friends until the end of time.
Choosing Your Approach
One of the most important things to remember when deciding what to say is that giving a promise ring is a very personal occasion. Unlike marriage vows which are made publicly, giving a promise ring is just between a couple. There's really no need for grand speeches or formal arrangements. Instead, a couple can choose words that reflect their own personalities and their unique relationship.
Write a Short Speech
Some couples like the formality of making a short speech when a promise ring is given. Planning a few words means that you're less likely to become tongue-tied or forget to make an important part of the promise.
Keep in mind that what you say should be sincere. Too much planning can sometimes result in a speech that sounds rehearsed and without emotion. Instead of writing a short speech, you might opt to write a few special words in a card. This also makes a lovely keepsake and reminder of the promises made.
Exchanging promise rings sometimes happens on the spur of the moment, and the romance of the occasion is going to outweigh any words that are said. In a setting like this, it's best to speak from your heart and express a few thoughts about what your partner and the rings mean to you.
Include Inspirational Song Lyrics
The occasion of giving of a promise ring is a wonderful time to use words that come from unusual sources. For example, song lyrics can provide a few words or sentences that are ideal for sharing a special moment. This might be words from a couple's favorite song or perhaps from a bygone classic.
Recite a Poem or Quotation
Promise ring poems have long been used to declare love and devotion. There are many types of poems you could use, from funny and amusing limericks to thoughtful or pensive epic poetry. You should use whichever type suits you best as a couple. Romantic quotes, like some offered at Epic Reads, might suit your purpose very well.
Focus on the Promise and the Words Will Come
Giving a promise ring is a very special occasion, and what you and your partner say to each at that moment is an important part of it. However, the ongoing love and commitment the rings symbolize are much bigger than any words can ever describe, so try not to stress over what you plan to say. Let your words come as naturally as possible to express how you feel. Your partner will find them priceless.