Are you looking for ideas on how to write an engagement announcement? Samples of engagement announcements can help couples find the right wording to spread news of their new status and prepare family and friends for the upcoming wedding. An announcement may be as simple as an impromptu save-the-date card, but couples should keep in mind that it typically hints at the formality and theme of the impending wedding. Properly phrased, an engagement announcement can also let family and friends know who will be hosting the wedding.
Samples of Newspaper Engagement Announcements
Couples have very little control over the format of newspaper engagement announcements. Newspapers often provide a simple form for couples to complete, which may include the following information:
- Couple's full names
- High school or college affiliations or careers
- Parent, bridal party or officiant names
- Wedding date or location
Longer, personalized newspaper announcements can be requested, but they typically cost more than standard formats. Announcements including engagement pictures also cost more.
While a couple may not be able to change much in a newspaper announcement, studying newspaper celebration listings can help them determine what types of engagement announcements they may be interested in.
Independent Samples of Engagement Announcements
If a couple plans to mail printed engagement announcements, they can choose from many different formats. In general, the announcement wording can be altered to meet the couple's preferences, but it should still reflect basic ideas about the wedding's formality, giving guests a hint of the celebration to come.
Formal Announcements from the Bride-to-Be's Parents
Basic formal announcement wording is as follows:
- Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Smith are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter, Betty Lou Smith, to Jeremy Michael Brown, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Brown. A June wedding is planned at the Church of the Resurrection in Our Town, Anystate.
The degree of detail can vary - a couple may, for example, publish the exact wedding date or location, or they may not have made those decisions yet.
Formal Announcement from Both Sets of Parents
An alternative sample of an engagement announcement, offering the news from both the bride- and groom-to-be's parents, could read:
- Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Smith and Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Brown are pleased to announce the engagement of Betty Lou Smith to Jeremy Michael Brown. A June wedding is planned at the Church of the Resurrection in Our Town, Anystate.
Semi-Formal Announcement from the Couple
A less formal engagement announcement may come from the couple themselves and could read:
- Katherine Joy Argyle and Benjamin David Green are happy to announce their engagement. A September wedding is planned.
Informal Announcement from the Couple
Generally, informal announcements include less information, and may even be worded in a more friendly fashion:
- We did it! We're in love, the ring is beautiful, and we are thrilled to announce our engagement. -Jessica and Christopher
The most informal announcements may even be simple, handwritten notes; there are very few guidelines for informal announcements. A few words of warning, however:
- Announcements should be carefully worded so they are not mistaken for invitations, especially if everyone receiving an engagement announcement may not make the guest list.
- No mention of engagement gifts or registries should be made in an announcement.
- Announcements should not include information about diamond carats or the engagement ring cost.
Wording for Special Circumstances
Today's families are very diverse, and many couples face special circumstances when writing engagement announcements. Dealing with some of these circumstances may take considerable tact, and the following wording examples offer advice about how to tackle the most common issues.
If the parents are divorced, the announcement should mention both of their full names, even if their names are the same. For example:
- Mr. James Thornman and Ms. Rebecca Thornman are pleased to announce…
If divorced parents have remarried, stepparents can be mentioned, if the couple so desires. The wording may then include multiple sets of parents, such as:
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Canell and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Snyder are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter, Lisa Jillian Canell…
A Deceased Parent
Some couples may wish to include the deceased parent in the announcement. A deceased parent can be mentioned, if doing so is important to the couple. An appropriate way to do so would be something like the following:
- Mrs. Jacob Redding and the late Mr. Paul Redding are pleased to announce…
The Couple's Names Only
An engagement announcement should not be used to begin a power struggle over who will control the wedding. If there are harsh tensions among involved individuals, it may be best for the couple to issue the engagement announcement themselves or to consider an alternative to a formal printed announcement. Modern couples may also be footing the bill for the wedding themselves. In these cases, couples can issue a simple announcement that includes both of their full names along with a few details about the impending wedding.
- Sarah Marie Smith and Joseph Russel Cadebaker are pleased to announce their engagement...
If a couple isn't interested in printing and distributing engagement announcements, they do have several other options.
- Email engagement announcements and wedding websites are popular choices, where the announcement can actually include a story of the marriage proposal, short biographies of the couple, and other relevant wedding information.
- A couple could also host a surprise engagement party to announce their new relationship (this is the only circumstance where it is acceptable etiquette for the couple to throw their own engagement party).
- A couple could even spontaneously elope and combine a wedding announcement and engagement announcement together, but this alternative should be carefully considered first.
Samples of engagement announcements can help a couple think about their wedding's formality, hosts, and theme, without the binding nature of wedding invitations. By seeing announcement samples and carefully considering which announcement to use, the couple can begin to establish the type of celebration they are interested in and spread the word to family and friends at the same time.