Shopping online for an engagement ring is gaining in popularity among many couples. Since local jewelry stores often offer only a limited selection of engagement ring styles, online retailers can provide you with more results as well as access to great deals.
Online Retailer Options
If you want a unique engagement ring or are not finding the best selection of rings at your local jewelry stores, consider checking out the many online merchants that specialize in engagement rings. You will not only find unusual settings and a large selection of styles but you will also find some great prices on rings as well. A few of the most widely known retailers that specialize in engagement rings include:
Blue Nile is one of the largest online retailers of certified diamonds and engagement rings. Blue Nile is known for superb quality and great customer service. On Blue Nile, you have the option to shop the latest ring trends or to build your own ring by selecting a loose diamond and your ideal setting. Some benefits of purchasing from Blue Nile are:
- Free Fed-Ex Priority shipping on all orders
- Lifetime warranty protection against defects in manufacturing, design, and workmanship
- Diamond Price Match Verification service that will compare the price of any diamond against a matching Blue Nile diamond
- Return policy of 30 days for any purchase you are not completely satisfied with
- Free gift packaging and card with all purchases
Zales is known as "The Diamond Store" and has been in business since 1924. Not only does Zales have retail locations across the United States, the jewelry company also has a website filled with an extensive selection of engagement ring styles. Zales features exclusive collections such as the Vera Wang Love collection, Zales' own Celebration Diamond collection and the Canadian diamond collection.
There are many benefits for purchasing a diamond from Zales, either online or from one of their stores, such as:
- 100 days to return your diamond ring purchase for a full refund with no questions asked
- Zales Lifetime Diamond Commitment program provides for replacement of a diamond that is chipped, broken or lost from its original setting (for diamond purchases of $200 or more)
- Free lifetime diamond cleaning and inspection
- Trade-in program that allows you to apply the original purchase price towards the purchase of a new diamond for a ring upgrade
Brilliance allows you to browse thousands of loose diamonds in order to find the perfect one for your engagement ring. This jewelry company has in-house diamond experts to assist you in your selection process, as well as jewelry designers that can help you create a custom ring to your exact specifications. Rings are hand-crafted on Brilliance's premises using the highest quality materials. Some benefits of shopping at Brilliance include:
- Free UPS or Fed Ex shipping
- 30-day no questions asked return policy
- 90-day free ring resizing
- Low price guarantee against finding an item of identical size and quality at a lower price
- Lifetime warranty
- Free gemological appraisal issued by a master gemologist
#1 Diamond Source
#1 Diamond Source offers a large selection of loose certified GIA diamonds as well as custom engagement ring settings, making it possible for you to put together a ring designed to your exact specifications. All diamonds carry a no-risk return policy and a 30-day guarantee. Some other great features of this merchant are:
- All diamonds are either AGS or GIA certified
- Lowest cost guarantee
- Conflict free diamonds
- Free insured shipping
Engagement rings are also available through online auctions such as eBay or Bidz including new and previously-owned selections. While it may be possible to get a good deal on a ring purchased this way, purchasing via an auction site also comes with some risk. Since there are many different online auction scams, you will want to be as informed about your purchase as possible. Always thoroughly investigate both the ring and the seller before placing a bid, and keep in mind that any deal that seems too-good-to-be-true is likely a scam.
Always do the following before purchasing from an auction site:
- Verify the diamond's quality
- Ask for a certificate of authenticity to make sure that the diamond is real
- As to see documentation of an appraisal to verify the value of the ring
- Find out if returns are allowed and, if so, what policies apply
- Check out reviews about the seller on the auction site
- View multiple pictures of the ring to get a good visual inspection of the ring prior to purchase
To keep yourself protected, always use a payment method such as Paypal or a credit card that offers fraud protection. Steer clear of sellers who want to be paid in cash or with a money order.
Best Selection and Value
For couples with limited retail options, shopping online for an engagement ring is a great alternative for finding the perfect ring. A much wider variety of rings can be found online than in any physical store, and with careful investigation and savvy shopping, couples need not fear making such a monumental purchase online.